What licenses and permits do you need to start your business?

What licenses and permits do you need to start your business?

On Behalf of | Jan 10, 2019 | Business Law |

Starting your Louisiana-based company does not have to be complicated, but it is more complex than simply opening your doors for business.

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, you are likely to need some federal and state permits and licenses to run your business legally.

Federal requirements

Different types of businesses fall under different categories of rules and regulations, and these are monitored for compliance by various federal agencies. For example, if your business involves animals, animal products, plants or other agricultural products, and you cross state lines with these, you must fill out an application with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Similarly, if you are involved in wildlife-related business activities, then you must register with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Other federal agencies that require licenses or permits include the following:

  • Federal Communications Commission
  • Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement
  • Federal Maritime Commission
  • U.S. Department of Transportation
  • Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
  • Federal Aviation Administration

You may also need to apply to the IRS for a Federal Tax Identification Number.

State and local requirements

While the federal regulations agencies tend to cover only very specific activities and business types, the state’s requirements are likely to be much broader in scope. You will need to register your business with the state and get a state business license. Many industries require a state license, such as those in the health and mental health fields. State and local regulations also cover matters regarding food preparation, building and worksite safety, employees and others.

While this information about business licenses and permits may give you a broad overview of what may be needed for your company, it is general in nature and should not be interpreted as legal advice.